Sunday 10 April 2011

Humour

Another book I refer to far too often (that's in addition to Chambers Dictionary, the Oxford Book of Quotations, and of course the Voynich Manuscript), is Chambers Crossword Lists.  This lists (spoiler in the title), words and phrases under all sorts of categories.  It's meant, and usually used around here, for cheating at crosswords; but sometimes it can be fun just to let it fall open at random.

So it was that, vaguely seeking different types of Hats, I've just discovered that the following kinds of Humour exist:

dry, sick, black, gallows, surreal, farcical, satirical, slapstick, lavatorial, barrack-room, Pythonesque.

Is this an exhaustive list?  Is it relevant, important, or interesting?  Is it even funny?  You be the judge.

I could move on to the next entry, Hydrocarbons, but you've probably had enough for now.

6 comments:

  1. Hydrocarbon humour isn't worth pursuing. Reagan tried but it was not a great success.
    More importantly how many jokes are there about plantar fasciitis, which I seem to be suffering from according to google. My right heel is playing up something wrotten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never find Dry Sick very amusing. And I believe plantar fasciitis is classified as a running gag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gag: brank, choke, estoppel, joke, pong, prank...[Bradfords,and not cheating but research-assisted.]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I don't find anything funny at all so sadly can't join in here.
    isn't plantar fascitis some kind of easy going tropical vegetation?
    I have the original Voynich manuscript and will post a bit of it today to prove it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soaring - is 'wrotten' some sort of Middle English for 'hilarious'? Chaucer: "That Wife of Bath, she wrought them wrotten, with branks and pranks she was a hot 'un."

    Rog - you've obviously never been in Reading town centre early on a Sunday morning. The Saturday night survivors find it wrotten.

    ElizT - thank you for the rationalisation. I shall be academically researching the Guardian Cryptic right after lunch.

    Rosie - do you have one in your garden? Would you know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure plantar fascitis is, as Rosie suggests, tropical vegetation, whether it's easy-going or not probably depends which way the wind's blowing. However this is a digression since what I believe I have is plantar fasciitis. If we all Googled or Wikid our ailments that would solve the NHS Crisis. What crisis? The one the government is trying to put together.
    I am pleased to read that the treatment is rest, massage therapy & calf stretching. (Not sure who has to do the calf stretching, whether this is a spectator sport or what, but we only have lambs in the fields round here at present, I wonder if they'd do).
    As for wrotten yes Tim, you are spot on. I am practising my Chaucer as we are visiting Kent later this week & indeed will be staying at a hostelry by the name of The Wife of Bath. Wye. Maybe I can get some rest & massage therapy during the trip. Might even see some Romney calves but that would be stretching it a bit.

    ReplyDelete