Saturday 27 August 2011

There's a kind of hush

I live within earshot of Rivermead, the location of the Reading Festival at this time every year.  Usually, I flee the country (to Wales), but for a couple of reasons (wind, rain) that hasn't been possible this year.   So I was rather dreading it.  I love music of nearly every kind (except finger-in-the-ear yokel-folk and massed bagpipes), but I'd rather select it for myself than have it, so to speak, thrust down my lugholes. 

But, so far, something's wrong.  I can hardly hear it.  Admittedly the wind direction is variable, which makes a difference - so maybe Caversham is getting the best of it.  But even allowing for the wind, it's just not loud enough!  Time was, here half a mile away, windows would be trembling, chimneypots wobbling.  What's wrong with the kids of today?  Don't they know how to make a proper noise any more?  I didn't even notice much loud music during the riots.

As I write, I'm ducking between BBC3 and the garden.   Jarvis is giving the performance of his life on the telly, but all I can hear outside is the twiddly synth bits.  I've turned the TV up to 11 (38 actually), and it still sounds tinny.  Crank up the bass, guys, FFS.  I should be down Notting Hill, where they used to know how to do loud.  Still, Elbow are headlining tomorrow; I might wander down Cow Lane, G&T in hand, at about eight.

8 comments:

  1. See how it goes tomorrow. If you can't tell your Cocker from your Elbow you are in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elbow were as brilliant as they were when I discovered them back in '08 at a live gig somewhere near Chester. Nice to sing along to 'Hey Jude' at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the problem's with your own hearing?

    I SAID MAYBE THE PROBLEM'S WITH YOUR OWN HEARING

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not at all, Macy. I heard that all the way from Cheesetown, even over the squeals of the departing festivalettes down Rivermead and the rumble of the M4 two miles from here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where's Rosie's blog gone????

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good heavens Tim, you live just round the corner! (Very loosely speaking)

    We spent the weekend within earshot of Leeds Carnival and I can tell you, they know how to wobble the windows up there!

    (may I also email you?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mig, yes, I'd guessed from your posts that you lived somewhere nearby.
    Feel free to email.

    ReplyDelete