Monday 11 March 2013

Alert!


I visited a website just now which activated something called, I think, “Anti-Virus Professional”, informed me that various files were corrupted, I had 39 viruses, and invited me to buy their product for a large number of dollars.  Oh yes, and I received warnings that I needed to update Adobe Flash (even though I know I don’t).  And was warned about trojans.

I tried to run BT NetProtect (McAfee) and couldn’t.  I was told to restart my virus protection software!

I shut down the computer and restarted it, and all seems to be well.  McAfee scan gives all clear.

Just thought I’d pass this on.  Looks like a scam to me!

4 comments:

  1. Yep. There are one or two around and, apparently, some targeting Macs specifically.
    And there's a new wave of emails purporting to come from banks.
    Tis pity traffic wardens or some sort of civil fuzz can't issue the buggers with tickets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. And this one seemed to be particularly insidious because it snuck in via an apparently respectable site, managed to bypass and disable the best available protection, and cleverly almost trapped me into thinking I had a Problem which only they could solve with my money. The bad bit is that I had to reboot to get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a scary scam - I bet loads of people will fall for that. Thanks for the warning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I don't like the sound of that. Thanks for warning us.

    ReplyDelete