I see the police are to be given powers to impose spot fines of up to £100 on tailgaters, middle-lane-hogs and the like. Well, jolly good show, I say! Here are a few other offences I’d add to the list:
· Failing to raise a hand in recognition of someone giving way to them at a row of parked cars.
· Pretending to make a gesture of thanks while in fact raising the middle finger of the left hand.
· Blowing the horn after ten seconds when a driver lets a waiting vehicle out from a side street, thereby delaying the offender by twenty seconds from catching up with the half-mile tailback 200 yards ahead.
· On the motorway, overtaking at two m.p.h. faster than the overtaken vehicle, and then reducing speed in front of them to two m.p.h. slower.
· At a roundabout, not signalling left or right until actually turning left or right.
Any more, anybody?
A proportion, say 50%, of the fine should be donated by the state to the victim of these crimes, with the proviso that it must be spent, within six months, on something they wouldn’t otherwise have bought. Should kickstart the economy.
The same principles should be applied to shopping trolleys.