Monday 30 September 2013

Wild in Wales? Not sayin’


On reflection, I don’t think I should tell you too much about that balmy summer evening in the tiny Welsh seaside village of ■■■■■■■■ back in 1993.  We were young (I was only 51) and foolish, and indiscretions were all too easy.
So, I’m not going to write about the note that was left on the cottage door (“Where are you, you bastards?  We’re THIRSTY!!!”), or the rushed curry and the leap over the wall to the pub next door, or the intense conversation, some while later, possibly concerning the disjunction between divergent views (one English, one Welsh) of contemporary Welsh art which narrowly evaded damage to both artists and artworks.  Nor am I going to write about a brief decamp by a few parties to the (closed) restaurant across the road, for music, dancing, wine from the cellar and nearly forcible separation of inappropriate pairings; nor the bemused expression on the face of the bartender back in the pub when asked, at half-one, whether they were still serving; nor about the difficulty, sometimes, to tell the difference, by sight, between whisky and brandy, and the consequences.  Especially, I’m keeping quiet about the insistence, in the face of adamant dissuasion, by one party at about three that it was perfectly all right to drive the mile back up to their caravan because “I drive best when I’m drunk; besides, I really enjoy it.”
Finally, I’d better not mention the cliff walk next morning, and how one party was unable to partake for, let’s say, annular reasons, whilst another mistook a low-flying coastguard biplane for a high-flying eagle.

No, best draw a veil over all that.  Apologies to those readers who were anticipating something salacious.  You had to be there.

 

4 comments:

  1. I'm none the wiser, then. Which isn't unusual, to tell the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your reticence. Clearly it's better for the ignorant to remain innocent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I was there ... was I?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Z, that's not the truth! Mind you, what I said may not be either...

    Mig, I appreciate your innocence. I have no idea what I mean by that, but it sounds clever, innit?

    Zig - you may feel that, I couldn't possibly say. No, honest, I couldn't. You weren't that girl who ...? No, certainly not.

    ReplyDelete