… and overtake it!
(Haven’t had a good rant for yonks.)
- ‘They’ tell us ‘we’ can’t beat the global corporations because ‘they’ have the best analysts, lawyers etc. So let’s buy those analysts and lawyers and pay them over the market rate and set them to work for ‘us’ rather than ‘them’. Whatever they offer, offer ten per cent more. Grab them by the wallet, their hearts and minds will follow.
- How to pay for that? Easy. Step one: confiscate their untaxed hidden assets. Obama has just made a stumble in this right direction. If necessary, invade the Bahamas, Monaco and Jersey.
- The highly lucrative British arms industry pleads that mass unemployment would result from curtailing their activities. Fine. So let them carry on selling death and destruction to the highest bidder, but make them pay the true cost. I don’t know how to value a human life, but let’s say $50,000? And $100 per square metre of property? Whatever. But let’s make BaE and the rest submit their accounts, balance the true books and offset the true costs. Not to mention the roads, the streetlights, the prisons, the hospital beds: I won’t go on.
- Similarly, ask every hedge fund, private equity company and property investor to describe exactly what is their product. That means: something you or I could go and buy from them. If they can’t, tax them into destruction.
- I realise that none of the above is going to happen, because difficulty always trumps achievability. Perhaps we can crowdsource? I’d dib in a K. But we’ll need to create a Citizens’ Dictatorship first. There’s an idea – the CD Party? Probably too late.