Wednesday 7 September 2011

Mishearings, innuendos and doubles entendres

Ensuing from a series of comments on another blog, involving a crude particle-physics-related anagram, I was prompted to put on an ancient Beach Boys album, containing amongst other joys (and a lot of carp), their cover of the Crystals' 'Then I Kissed Him' (for obvious reasons retitled 'Then I Kissed Her').

My mind was obviously running on some rather dubious tracks, because I heard the line 'I kissed her in a way that I'd never kissed a girl before' and thought "hmm".  (This brought to mind a Guardian correspondence from many years ago, concerning the correct plural of ... no, I'd better not say.  (If anyone knows what the French Connection I'm on about, please get in touch.))

But it did remind me of just a couple of famous mishearings, which I'm sure everybody knows but I can't resist repeating anyway, because they still make me laugh:
From the Shirelles' 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?':  "Can I believe the magic of your size?'
And from Jimi Hendrix's 'Purple Haze':  "Scuse me while I kiss this guy!"
Any more, anyone?

4 comments:

  1. A Hollywood chap who was a detective in that series called...Husky and Starch, or something. He recorded a song about " going in with my eyes open" and we all thought he said "flies."

    Should you include the WW ll song that had the then-enemy in a tiz?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Desmond Decker in the Israelites surely sings "My wife and my kids they feck off and they leave me"?

    Innuendo is a bit of an innuendo - that's always amused me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some years ago, Moos of the World, reporting on the mad cow scare headline: "'Innocent!' a mental moo'd"

    Mares eat oats you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Sam and Janet Evening' from South Pacific. The lyric goes '...you will meet a stranger, across a crowded room.' For years, I heard that as 'across a clouded moon'. And just now I wandered out into the garden, and the moon was indeed clouded.

    ReplyDelete