Saturday 3 March 2012

I can't even think of a title

My blogging mojo has gone for a long stroll round the block.  This happens at this time of the year; although it’s only March, it’s more like April (and we all know which month that is).  It’s to do with impatience – I’ve had enough of this bland winter, blossom is out across the street and there are bumblebees – I want the summer, and I want it now!  But it will take its own time; meanwhile, I’m bored.  This is how I think boredom works: wanting to do something but not having anything you want to do.  So I’ll have to tell you about my supper.

Due to a shopping malfunction, I had to improvise with fridge’n’freezer scrapings.  This usually – no, this always – means a pasta sauce.  A tin of plum tomatoes often saves the day, but for reasons already alluded to this option wasn’t open.  I thought a bit, spread the scrapings out on the worktop, and proceeded as follows:

I chopped two good cloves of garlic, a fresh tomato and some parsley, or at least something which was six days out of date but still smelt of parsley, just.  When I say a fresh tomato, let’s just say there weren’t any visible discolorations.  I should have peeled it, but couldn’t be bothered so just took out the core and seeds, it’s only there for colour really.  I found some diced pancetta in the freezer, and grated some parmesan.  Then I cooked it all, in lashings of olive oil, in the right order, plus a pinch of cayenne and black pepper, and served it up with some fusilli pasta (also cooked).

I’d like to be able to say it was delicious – in fact, I can, so I will.  It was delicious.

9 comments:

  1. Ooh I say. Certainly sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a guy who can improvise. Come cook for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trick is to precisely avoid burning the garlic and the pancetta.
    Lo, didn't you have some leftover airmiles?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A plain as it can get. I think what is right for text and design in general is good for cooking too - reduce, reduce, reduce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who says men lack imagination in the kitchen?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have a bowlful thanks.

    And yes, sometimes the blogging mojo has a break.

    And then it comes back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh thanks, you've reminded me about the tomatoes and given me something to do with them all in one delicious package : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. If your blogging mojo has gone for a walk around the blog, I think mine must have left the country.

    I have a lot of shopping malfunctions, particularly when it comes to groceries. Your improvised supper sounds nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, I always imagined you had your people below stairs who did this kind of thing for you. Perhaps they too had gone round the block.

    ReplyDelete