Monday 24 October 2011

Ladies? Birds? Bugs?

I couldn’t get any pictures, but here’s a delightful one from a favourite photo-artist:


But yesterday, when the sun was full on the back of the house, there were several dozens of them.  Far more than the forty-two I rehabilitated last week during the Great Grape Picking Adventure.  At one point, I felt like a beekeeper.  I’m ashamed to say that I became less than solicitous in my behaviour towards them, and a few got swatted.  And as for the ones that decided to come indoors – well, there are rules about invasiveness, aren’t there?  They shouldn’t be immigrating hidden up my sleeves or in my hair.  I respect their right to inhabit the outdoors; they should equally respect my right to an insect-free house.  They do leave a nasty orange stain on the carpet as well.
Most of them were lurking around the back door.  I gather that this is fairly usual at this time of the year, as they look for warm places.  But I’ve never seen it on this scale before.  I can only put it down to the grape vodka.  I’ve told them and told them that it won’t be ready till the New Year, but they just don’t listen.  Tuh.

3 comments:

  1. A few years ago, the immigrant harlequin ladybirds were becoming a problem (to the native ones, that is), but I haven't seen any since the last two harsh winters. Grape vodka is probably what makes English ladybirds so hardy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you thought of getting an orange carpet?

    I don't think I have seen many at all this year but then that may be because I didn't have much opportunity to be outside this summer. I shall try to do better net year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you've got that many of the ladybirds, you could make the carpet orange - problem solved!

    ReplyDelete