Friday 24 April 2020

A bit more family


My mother’s parents had more humble backgrounds than my father’s.  

Esmond Lloyd Rea was a Yorkshireman, from Wakefield. I know nothing about his early history.  He was employed by the Inland Revenue, which entailed being sent to wherever the job demanded, which is probably why my mother was born in the Welsh borders and fetched up in Bournemouth to meet my father there. 

Grandpa must have been allowed to stop being peripatetic, or perhaps to retire, because by the late thirties he had settled down and bought 66 Watcombe Road, just down the road from us.  He was a jolly man, who enjoyed his beer and his music.  We’d be taken down the road for Sunday lunches and record sessions, and sometimes sleep over, presumably when my parents had other engagements (which doesn’t feel very likely) or more probably just wanted to be shot of us and have some time together alone (though that doesn’t seem very likely either).  It was presented to the children as a treat – you’re going to sleep at Granny and Grandpa’s tonight, won’t that be lovely? – and of course accepted without question. 

Ethel Jones, Granny, had roots in County Cork, but I don’t think she was Irish.  It’s impossible to find out anything more from the internet – the surname doesn’t help – and no family documents that I know of have survived.  How she met Esmond in the Welsh borders is yet another unanswered question.  I’ve explained what I know of how he got there, but how did she get there?  Anyhow, they were in Coleford, in the Forest of Dean, when my mother (their only child) was born in 1907.

4 comments:

  1. By strange coincidence, we have been sorting out some boxes of stuff following our recent move and found some of the old documents that our mother had kept. A number of birth, death & marriage certificates include a copy of the marriage certificate on 25 April 1905 of Esmond Lloyd Rea of St Mary's Brecon and Ethel Sarah Knight Jones of Pentre Terrace, Boncath, Pembrokeshire. The marriage took place at the parish church of Capel Colman, Boncath.
    Perhaps that is where the family love of Pembrokeshire came from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just realised that today is our maternal grandparents' 115th wedding anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You beat me to it. My coincidence was that you posted this when we were looking at documents lying in boxes for over 20 years. But I hadn't appreciated the relevance of the dates until just now. Astonishing indeed!

    ReplyDelete