Saturday 13 October 2012

Aubergine Pepper and Tomato “Moroccan” Braise


Viv was an instinctive cook, with creative flair, who rarely followed a recipe to the letter, never mind wrote one down.  So it’s not surprising that when I looked more closely at this I could see that you might have some difficulties recreating it.  As indeed she probably would’ve too; it was only at my insistence that she recorded her successes in this book, and then, as I remember her telling me, just as aides memoires.  I don’t think she ever made the same thing twice, except when she intended to.

I toyed with trying to convert it into a proper recipe, with quantities, temperatures, times, and so forth; but then I thought ‘don’t destroy its spirit.’  So here’s the original: make of it what you will.
 

 

I’d like to think the dried ginger and the sultanas made their way in there at some stage.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for clarifying the "sultanas" and the word "dried". Now I think I might be able to make this and it does sound delish. I love Moroccan veggie stews. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like "taste, season & adjust."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I try this I'd like to know what you think of it, Tim!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I've never made it myself, but it must have been pretty good as I wanted her to write it down. I'm guessing not a million miles from ratatouille (sp?) and that you could use any N. African/Middle Eastern spices of your choice. Maybe I'll try it at my next dinner party, i.e. sometime this decade.

    ReplyDelete