(Requested by Blue Witch. The most appealing cabbage ever?)
For two with other dishes:
Half a savoy cabbage**
Half a medium onion
1 teasp. each black mustard seeds, fennel seeds, kalonji*
1-2 small dried red chillis.
* You can leave this out, but don’t omit the mustard or fennel.
** Save the other half as cow bait.
· Finely shred the cabbage and slice the onion.
· Heat some oil in a heavy flameproof pan and chuck in all the spices.
· Cook until the seeds start jumping and the chillis turn blackish.
· Add the onion and cook until it starts to brown.
· Add the cabbage and a little water and salt. Stir and cook until the cabbage wilts, then add 1 teasp. garam masala.
· Cover and cook in a slow oven (gas 3) for half an hour or so.